Special rules for learners
There are a number of RMS enforced rules that all learner drivers must comply with when taking to the roads.
Failure to comply with any of the following requirements is an offence and will carry heavy penalties, including loss of licence.
Learner drivers must
- Have a Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) of zero.
- Have L plates displayed on the front and back of exterior of the vehicle.
- Ensure all occupants are properly restrained by seatbelts or approved restraints.
- Not drive faster than 90 km/h.
- Be supervised by the holder of an appropriate Australian full licence (not a learner or provisional licence).
- Not tow a trailer or any other vehicle.
- Not drive in Parramatta Park, Centennial Park or Moore Park when in Sydney.
- Not use any function of a mobile phone, including hands free or loudspeaker devices.